Sunday, July 22, 2012

Finding Happiness...One Dish at a Time.

I realized that the most "happening" pictures on my camera so far are of food, so I figured I might as well focus on what makes this trip back to my hometown so special - FOOD.

Before I go into much detail about God's gifts to mankind, a.k.a foods, I will share some fun things to do with your youngins here in Ecuador. In Samborondon, there's a place called "Tierra Diversion" or "Land of Fun" (I think that's the name). There's a bunch to do, like drive bumper cars into other people, ride a giant caterpillar, or play foosball or air hockey. It's like a year-round carnival here. 



Saturday night I went out with friends to Plaza Lagos (http://www.plazalagos.com.ec/home.aspx) for dinner. This town center was re-done recently, and the formal inauguration will be in 2 weeks. It is one of the nicer town centers in the city.


Food time!

Dinner was great. We ate at "Tupac", named after the last Incan emperor Tupac Yupanqui. This was my first shot at higher-end Peruvian food...seafood to be exact.


Risotto with choclo (corn) and peas, fish on a slab of melted cheese and avocado, topped with caramelized onions. Amazing.


After little sleep (about 3 hours), I got up and explored the city before having lunch at an Ecuadorian restaurant that served traditional favorites with a twist. I cropped myself out of the picture on purpose. I was looking a little rough.

White rice with menestra (beans), patacones (fried plantain slices), salad, and breaded popcorn shrimp. To die for. All this topped off with a fresh squeezed orange juice over slushy ice.

Dinner was awesome as well! I was taken to Urdesa to eat sushi.

The crunchy looking roll is tempura with shrimp filling, the orange looking one had tuna, the black one had eel, and the colorful one topped with avocado and caviar had salmon. All these rolls were dipped in a mixture of eel and soy sauces with sesame seeds. Nom nom!

And with that, I conclude my edible segment of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment