Thursday, July 19, 2012

Go!

After many hours of travel, I finally made it to Guayaquil!
The sky was very overcast, but if that means the weather will stay fresh, keep it coming! Last summer the heat here was unbearable, so I hope for nicer weather this time around.


There really is nothing like going to your hometown and reading words of welcome. The inside of the newly re-done airport, José Joaquin de Olmedo (GYE), has "welcome" written in about 10 languages! Since I'm a language junkie, I felt right at home from the moment I left the airplane.


Here's a picture of the outside of the airport:





As I left the airport and entered the city, I read this one more time:



I was picked up and taken to lunch by a family friend staying in the north of the city. Unfortunately, my camera died by the time I made it to lunch at "El Sabroson" - a restaurant specializing in sliced pork and turkey sandwiches. This place is amazing. As soon as the glass doors opened, my mouth was watering! 
The smell of roast pork and turkey in traditional Ecuadorian fashion brought me back to my childhood, when my family would get together to feast on these fragrant breads holding sliced pork with an onion sauce. Wash it all down with a cold soda.Wow! 


No worries! Tomorrow I'm asking to eat the same thing, so a picture or two will be here.


After unpacking and taking a long, cold shower, I came to a friend's house where I found the newest addition to the family walking. This is him after wearing himself out by running around the house. haha



After spending time with the baby, some friends took me out to Samborondon to have dinner. This is us at dinner:



The picture above is of a really traditional Ecuadorian meal - rice with brown beans (menestra) with grilled meat (pork chop, beef, chorizo, and chicken) parillada. 

No comments:

Post a Comment